An American Girl Doll Story

An American Girl Doll Story

Thursday, February 12, 2015

The New Releases From AG!



I could barely sleep last night knowing that today we would see the releases from AG (I admit- I did give myself a little "dessert" and looked at the Pinterest they had set up - but only 3 pics, I promise XD). I am SO excited about everything, and while I don't like everything released, I always enjoy seeing the outfits and wondering what inspired them ($ maybe?)XDXD and just seeing the new selections.
Here are my opinions on the new releases.
*If they are a bit harsh, I'm sorry, I guess when I start giving my opinion and I feel strongly about something, I suppose I may criticize AG too much. I promise I love American Girl as a company even if I get mad frequently with them. Really.
This is a really long post - it is an analysis of each outfit - taking every piece bit by bit and tearing it apart and analyzing it XD and I will probably make it into 2 parts.
Here is Part #1:
Addy's Dress & Sewing Set - $48
I actually really like this. The plaid dress itself is beautiful, and I think it would look great with and without the pinafore. It could probably even double as a modern spring dress too. Plus, I've always been a huge fan of the short bell sleeves on many of Addy's dresses.
The pinafore is cute and pretty simple, as well as the stockings and boots that now seem to be a part of every outfit from either Addy's collection, Rebecca's or from MG & C's collection before they were retired.
I love the sewing accessories, however I think that Addy's collection would have done better with an actual separate sewing accessory set full of everything - maybe even an old fashioned Singer or something (not sure when Singer machines came out, but I've seen some pretty ancient ones - plus, I think Singer machines sponsor AG, or at least they did with Isabelle). It is cute, but I feel that they really fell short when they could've made a bigger, more elaborate sewing accessory set.
The price of this is better than the special edition sets from last year. It is rare for AG to take the price down.
Coordinating Outfit for Girls $74
The shirt is cute, not showy or possibly "iffy" and the pants are simple but cute. However, I think something similar if not nearly exact to this outfit could be pieced together from places like Target (I've seen that shirt there before - I know I have), and maybe even some lucky thrift finds. I bet you could dress for less than $74 in a similar outfit and still give off the "coordinating dress" appearance.
Julie's Skateboard Set - $48
I LOVE this. Well, actually, I think I preferred the rollerskates over the skateboard, but how can you resist, still? The skateboard with the big wheels and the groovy orange, the shirt with the great logo, and everything!
The shirt logo, I'm pretty, sure, is still being used today because as I look back at 5 year old pics of me, I'm pretty sure I had a nearly identical print on a long sleeve purple shirt. Too bad I probably outgrew it 5 years ago. XD
The pants are cute and simple and the socks and shoes are simple and cute as well. The pants are kind of short and while, obviously, on a doll you aren't really "exposing", younger girls tend to "mirror" their dolls. I think AG was pretty bold with this and the short shorts of the roller skating outfit, but I don't mind them in this summer fun instance. (After all, let's be real. Who doesn't get in a cute shirt and shorts as soon as the weather is cool enough and ride around the neighborhood?)
The skateboard is great! I just recently got a skateboard set and am more than happy with it and do not feel the need for another one, so this outfit will be looked over by me, but don't hesitate, everyone else who doesn't have a skateboard for their dolls. This is a great example of a great outfit for Julie.
Graphic Sweatshirt & Rainbow Shorts for Girls - $60
I love the shirt/sweatshirt and it may find its way into my wardrobe (considering above, in the Julie opinions, I was saying how I wished I had a shirt that matched. Well, wish granted!)
However, this is a super bold choice on the shorts. While I get they are meant to be exercise shorts and summer shorts, I can't get over how short they are. Maybe 3 or 4 inches above the knee would've been nice - not 6 inches! Come on, AG! It looks like she is going out to the mailbox in her "boxer underwear" (Just so everyone is clear, going out to the mailbox like that is not acceptable to me past age 3 or 4. Believe me, it looks way weird.)
Julie's Mix Print Maxi Dress - $28
Okay, so I'm not a huge fan of the accessories or even the dress. The dress is a bit over the top and it kind of looks like she is wearing a falling down tutu over a maxi dress. However, at the same time, I feel like it is kind of cute, especially because instead of straps, it just ties in the back around the neck.
The headwrap doesn't match at all - it should've been a pink head wrap or a yellow or even a faux brown leather/macramé headwrap. Purple barely fits into the color scheme of this outfit, but it kind of works...I guess.
The bracelet is cute - still not a fan of the plastic clunky jewelry though. The sandals are beyond adorable and the necklace is cute, but with some beads, it would be very easy and cheap to make - a double win!
I have such mixed feelings/opinions on this outfit that it is making my mind frustrated.XDXD
Kit's Chicken Keeping Set - $48
I am not a huge fan of these overalls. I feel like denim would've been a more "rugged" choice for Kit and would've matched her style more. The cute shirt is nice, but I really feel that Kit's old overall set would've been a far better choice. I'm not a fan of the pin tuck things on the bodice or the little shaped waistband. These look more like a fashion disaster gone worse than a pair of overalls to get dirty in around chickens and gardens. Really? I'm not buying the "not being able to get denim" thing either. If the Waltons could get denim (well, I think Erin did have non-denim overalls, but still), the Kittredges could get denim. This outfit should've been a lot simpler to make than what they did with it.
Cheery Top + Jumper for Girls - $70
I really like this. In fact, this exact outfit would've been a better choice for Kit (with a bit of historical tweaking) than the so-called-overalls she received. I hope to get this and it is absolutely adorable - all of it. The dress is great, the shirt is great, and I think I saw a pair of boots like that somewhere. I could totally redo this look and I can't wait to either! (This outfit is totally unique and not something you could just go buy off any rack).
Rebecca's Seashore Set - $48
Cries of frustration and disappointment were heard throughout the land (or at least my town) - all coming from me, sitting on my computer.
They could've done something so beautiful. The really missed the mark on this.
The chair is nice and a lot for your money, and the postcard is cute too.  
Now back to the outfit...
This is so strange. What were they thinking? While the cap, shoes, and even the suit itself are historically accurate, I can't help but ask "why?"
Why is it pink and purple? They could've made a cute navy bathing costume similar to Samantha's old one and a cute little dainty but still swimming outfit. This thing is completely hideous and I don't find the colors to be historically accurate. Would they have really worn a super bright hot pink bathing cap? Something tells me no, but I'm not a historian (neither is AG, obviously).
Modern Fancy Shawl Outfit - $48
While I know it is good to have modern things for the real Nez Perce girls of today to have matching outfits with their doll, I am so over it. I am over the Modern Image of Kaya's collection. They may as well make her a "Today girl" (not GOTY because she would be here for more than a year, and of course, not a MAG). There is nothing historical about Kaya anymore. Why would they make modern things for her if she is from the 1700s. Maybe they are releasing a book where Kaya finds a time machine? Until that sort of book is released, they shouldn't explore the idea further.
Why must it all be "Modern"? Why can't there be a Historical playset?!
High-Low Hem Dress - $48
This is an okay dress. I've never been a "High Low" fan, but this dress has a unique print that is very "Kaya", I guess. (Though we don't know Kaya - she could be walking down my street in her "modern" clothes and hiding her time machine)
The shoes don't go with it at all to me. Who decided on that?! I'd be glad to be their fashion coordinator!
 
Part #2 comin' up!  


No comments:

Post a Comment